Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- Greenyard gives first estimate of financial impact of recent recall
- Looking inside the packing house of a California avocado grower-shipper
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Tsunami hits Mallorca and Menorca
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Galicia leads kiwi production in Spain
Galicia continues to be Spain's biggest producer of kiwifruits with more than 16,000 tons per year. It has an estimated area of about 700 hectares, which includes the areas from professional producers and of those who engage in this activity in a complementary manner.
Currently, there are a total of 87 farms in the community dedicated to the cultivation of kiwi, strawberry, and blueberries. Forty eight of them grow kiwis, 27 strawberry, and 12 blueberries. This type of production is mainly located on the Atlantic provinces, due to climatic conditions. A Coruńa has a total of 39 crops, Pontevedra 36, Lugo only 7, and Ourense 5.
In this same line, kiwi is paradigmatic. Pontevedra has up to 27 farms, 56.2% of the Galician total, and A Coruńa has another 16 (33.3%), while Lugo only has 5, and Ourense doesn't have any. Thus, the Atlantic provinces concentrate almost 90% of the area.
Spain started cultivating kiwi in 1969. The first plantations were located in Galicia, more specifically in the Gondomar and Tui areas. Currently, there are two professional fruit and vegetable organizations (Horsal and Kiwi Atlántico, which were legally recognized in 2009 and 2012, respectively) operating in the community. Both of them are located in the province of Pontevedra.
Publication date: 1/10/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: