Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Honduras: Organic production gains ground
More and more Honduran farmers are cultivating organic products, a market that is growing internationally.
Consumers have become more demanding of quality standards and the way the food they eat is produced, so they prefer to buy products that have organic seals.
In the last ten years, the number of producers of this type of fruits, vegetables, and grains increased from 1,500 to 6,451. Meanwhile, the planted area increased from 4,400 to 31,574 hectares.
Carlos Galo, the head of the Department of Organic Agriculture of the National Service of Health and Food Safety (Senasa), said that last year the country had exported about 67,126 metric tons of organic products, i.e. 2,808 metric tons or more 4.35% than the 64,318 tons exported in 2016.
Honduras currently produces more than 17 different organic products, such as orange, sweet potato, vegetables, lime, banana, plantain, passion fruit, pineapple, and chili peppers.
Most of the production is exported to the international market, mainly to the United States, Europe, and Japan.
Publication date: 1/9/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: