Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money
- We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
China: 2018 Japanese tangerines sales go through the roof
A Japanese tangerine variety, known as Baba tangerines, a hybrid of Kiyomi and F-2432 citrus varieties, are gaining popularity in China. Created in 1979 at Shizuoka plantation in Japan, the variety was registered in 1996 and has since become one of the most popular varieties in Japan. Now it is also one of the most promising varieties of hybrid citrus in China.
Baba tangerines mature in late December. They are sweet, tasty and very easy to store. They can retain their taste up to the next year's May. Last year, during the Spring Festival, the price of Baba tangerines increased significantly. At the end of January, after the Spring Festival, the average price was 10 yuan per kilo. In February, the average price rose to 20 yuan per kilo. In March, the price reached 30 yuan per kilo. That is a monthly rate of increase of 100%, which is 114% larger than it was the year before.
This year, Baba tangerines have just arrived on the market, but it is expected that the they might overcome the last year's success. When early tangerines are entering the market, the prices of the high quality fruits might be 20-24 yuan per kilo. Later they might decrease a little bit. Standard quality fruits this year cost around 12-18 yuan per kilo, which is 4-6 yuan more expensive than last year.
There is more than a month left until the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), Baba tangerines' prices can still go up. There are many factors that will affect the prices, such as quality and amount of the products in the warehouses. It is also possible that the prices will surge even earlier, like they did last year. According to statistics from the Ministry of Agriculture, the planting area of Baba tangerines in Sichuan Province is now around 3,340 ha. In the next three years, it is going to increase by 30% to 50%.
Publication date: 1/9/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: