Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Potato price drops as Indian farmers pin hopes on ‘Bhavantar’Wholesale prices of potatoes have dropped sharply this week and the farming community feels that the Haryana government’s new price deficit compensation scheme for four vegetable crops -called ‘Bhavantar Bharpai’- could provide a breather for them.
Vegetable growers said the state government should further cap vegetable cultivation in each field to ensure financial benefit to smaller landowners. They are also demanding regulation of the ‘arthiyas’ (commission agents and middlemen).
A potato grower from Jhansa Singh said the existing potato pricing was causing him a loss of 10,000 rupees (132 euros) per acre. However, he hoped the Bhavantar scheme may ensure the recovery of the cost input.
Another farmer Harpal Singh told tribuneindia.com the government should extend the secured prices for peas and other vegetables. He said food processing units should be opened in clusters for the benefit of farmers and that the government should put a stop to the price manipulations by the arthiyas.
Publication date: 1/8/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: