Job offersmore »
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Good potential for pistachios in Castile-leonPistachios, with their characteristic flavour, unmistakable colour and crispy texture, are one of the new crops that are gaining ground in Castile-Leon.
You need to be patient to see fruits, because it takes at least four years for the grafts of males and females to start procreating. But when they do and reach reproductive maturity (after ten years), you can get up to 1,000 kilos per hectare in dry land. "And prices are really good, at around 8 or 10 Euro per kilo," says the president of Aspropicyl (Association of Pistachio Producers of Castile-León), José María Rey.
The group brings together about 120 producers and was created to boost the crop's cultivation. In the past, it was assumed that "pistachio cultivation had no chance of developing" in Castile-Leon, but experience has shown that it performs even better than in other places. It is a rustic tree that needs sunshine and requires very little water, with cold-heat contrasts helping ensure a good quality.
And the region has "plenty of potential in that department." If we look at the data available, there has clearly been a pistachio boom. While in 2014 there were officially 302 hectares, in 2016 the figure already reached 546; a 81% growth, with Valladolid (266) and Zamora (151) as the main producers, although the crop can be found in all provinces except for Soria.
Publication date: 1/8/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: