Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Lake County crop report shows new recordThe value of Lake County crops hit a record mark in 2016. The figure was noted in the Lake County Agriculture Department 2016 Crop Report, released this week. Agricultural Commissioner Steven Hajik said the gross value of 2016 agricultural production was $113.8 million; a new high mark for the county.
Hajik: “It is an increase of 12 percent from 2015. That year was led by wine grapes, the number one commodity at $7.8 million.” The second largest commodity were pears, with a gross value of $20.8 million. But grapes and fruit are going in opposite directions. The figure for pears fell by 21 percent from the year before.
According to record-bee.com, the third commodity for the first time ever in the history of Lake County was timber, at $5.1 million. But of course there was a lot of salvage logging, done due to the fires. This was a large increase from $28,447 recorded the year before. Because of record fire seasons, the timber industry continues to struggle to make enough product for people to rebuild homes.
The fourth commodity is walnuts. The gross value of them in 2016 was $3.6 million. This is a decrease of 32 percent from 2015 with a slight production decrease. The price per ton decreased almost the same amount, at 31 percent.
Publication date: 1/5/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: