Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- “Europe is literally waiting for every lemon”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Shanty tomato advances Ethiopian agricultureHazera has successfully introduced the hybrid Shanty tomato to Ethiopia, impacting the lives of rural farmers. Thanks to a project spearheaded by Hazera's Commercial Director in Africa, Mr. Jawdat Badawieh, hybrid seeds for the Shanty tomato were distributed in several Ethiopian villages. With close guidance from the Hazera team, the farmers were able to grow these vegetables - initially for their own consumption and subsequently for generating income by selling the produce.
Jawdat Badawieh of Hazera
Hazera breeds, develops, produces and markets seeds for a wide range of vegetable and field crops grown around the world. Combining decades of experience with cutting-edge technology, Hazera’s breeders and scientists create top-quality, high-yielding varieties and tailor them to meet the farming conditions and marketing requirements of customers worldwide.
In Africa, the company’s hybrid seed marketing focuses on onions (with Neptune and Russet as the leading varieties) and tomatoes (Shanty and Galilea). Watermelons, cabbages and peppers are also in the pipeline.
The success of the project is reflected in the phrase commonly used by rural farmers in Ethiopia: ''Life before and after the Shanty,” which describes the huge change in their lives since they started growing Shanty tomatoes.
“Beyond providing our customers with hybrid seeds for healthier, hardier crops, Hazera also delivers much needed support,” said Mr. Badawieh. “For example, Hazera helped Ethiopian farmers obtain a water pump and fertilizers, further contributing to a significant change in their lives.”
For more information:
Tel: +972 8850 8815
Fax: +972 8850 2442
Publication date: 1/5/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: