Job offersmore »
- VP Sales and Marketing - Warsaw
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
Top 5 - yesterday
- US Romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak quite relentless
- A challenging new citrus import season from southern hemisphere
- NZ: Spraying without chemicals, residues or health and safety issues
- Busy first day of CPMA show in sunny Vancouver
- "Rumours causing importers to switch from Chinese to Spanish garlic"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Shanty tomato advances Ethiopian agricultureHazera has successfully introduced the hybrid Shanty tomato to Ethiopia, impacting the lives of rural farmers. Thanks to a project spearheaded by Hazera's Commercial Director in Africa, Mr. Jawdat Badawieh, hybrid seeds for the Shanty tomato were distributed in several Ethiopian villages. With close guidance from the Hazera team, the farmers were able to grow these vegetables - initially for their own consumption and subsequently for generating income by selling the produce.
Jawdat Badawieh of Hazera
Hazera breeds, develops, produces and markets seeds for a wide range of vegetable and field crops grown around the world. Combining decades of experience with cutting-edge technology, Hazera’s breeders and scientists create top-quality, high-yielding varieties and tailor them to meet the farming conditions and marketing requirements of customers worldwide.
In Africa, the company’s hybrid seed marketing focuses on onions (with Neptune and Russet as the leading varieties) and tomatoes (Shanty and Galilea). Watermelons, cabbages and peppers are also in the pipeline.
The success of the project is reflected in the phrase commonly used by rural farmers in Ethiopia: ''Life before and after the Shanty,” which describes the huge change in their lives since they started growing Shanty tomatoes.
“Beyond providing our customers with hybrid seeds for healthier, hardier crops, Hazera also delivers much needed support,” said Mr. Badawieh. “For example, Hazera helped Ethiopian farmers obtain a water pump and fertilizers, further contributing to a significant change in their lives.”
For more information:
Tel: +972 8850 8815
Fax: +972 8850 2442
Publication date: 1/5/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: