Job offersmore »
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
- Horticultural Consultant - Sydney, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Farmers demand compensation:
Ammonia gas leak destroys potato crop in four Indian villagesAn ammonia gas leak from a cold storage plant at Ghaagpura village has caused potato crops across four villages in Agra district to wither. The crop damage has affected some 500 of farmers in the area. On Tuesday, farmers met senior officials and demanded steps being taken against the cold storage owners and suitable compensation for the crop losses.
Incidents like these can take place in other cold storage centres as well, as many of them are operating without any license. According to a nyoooz.com, farmers also alleged that corrupt officials of the district's horticulture department work hand in glove with the owners of unlicensed cold storage centres.
The ammonia gas leak took place at the Gargi cold storage centre. The gas began to leak on Sunday evening. The leakage was discovered only on Monday morning by which time hundreds of acres of potato crops were already damaged. Shocked farmers of Ghaagpura, Salempur Mudiya, Pura Banjara and Mohammadpur villages found their crops had withered.
Publication date: 1/3/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: