Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Farmers demand compensation:
Ammonia gas leak destroys potato crop in four Indian villagesAn ammonia gas leak from a cold storage plant at Ghaagpura village has caused potato crops across four villages in Agra district to wither. The crop damage has affected some 500 of farmers in the area. On Tuesday, farmers met senior officials and demanded steps being taken against the cold storage owners and suitable compensation for the crop losses.
Incidents like these can take place in other cold storage centres as well, as many of them are operating without any license. According to a nyoooz.com, farmers also alleged that corrupt officials of the district's horticulture department work hand in glove with the owners of unlicensed cold storage centres.
The ammonia gas leak took place at the Gargi cold storage centre. The gas began to leak on Sunday evening. The leakage was discovered only on Monday morning by which time hundreds of acres of potato crops were already damaged. Shocked farmers of Ghaagpura, Salempur Mudiya, Pura Banjara and Mohammadpur villages found their crops had withered.
Publication date: 1/3/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: