Job offersmore »
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
Top 5 - yesterday
- Sinaloa mango pack-house opens for the season
- 45 double ripening chambers in new Lidl Moerdijk distribution centre
- TAPKIT: 500m2 self-assembly hydroponic greenhouse
- Chilean Hortifrut interested in buying the largest Peruvian producer of blueberries
- “We provide remote, in-transit corrective actions to containerized shipments”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Fruit and veg consumption dropped again in OctoberThe seventh session of the Plenary Meeting of the Food Chain Observatory was held in Madrid this week and one of the topics discussed was the latest data from the Panel on Household Food Consumption. These revealed that the consumption of fruits and vegetables fell again in October, dropping by 5.8% in volume, totalling 644.4 million kilos, while expenditure fell by 1.7%, down to 995.1 million Euro.
According to the Panel on Food Consumption of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Food and Environment, the consumption of fruits in households in October stood at 342.2 million kilos, 6.2% less than in the same month of 2016, and the expenditure amounted to 542.8 million Euro (-1.3%). The consumption of vegetables stood at 220.6 million kilos (-6%) with an expenditure of 397.4 million Euro (+0.2%) and that of potatoes stood at 81.5 million kilos (-3%) with an expenditure of 54.9 million Euro (-17%).
Looking at the total figures from January to October, the demand for fruits and vegetables in households has stood at 6.555 million kilos, 3.4% less than in the same period of 2016, and the expenditure has reached 9.591 million Euro (-0.6%). The consumption of fruit in the first ten months of the year has amounted to 3,599 million kilos (-3.1%) and the expenditure has reached 5,206 million Euro (-1.1%). The consumption of vegetables has stood at 2.145 million kilos (-4.5%), with an expenditure of 3.789 million Euro (+1%) and that of potatoes has totalled 812 million kilos (-1.4%) worth 596 million Euro (-5.7%).
For FEPEX, the fall in the consumption of fruit and vegetables in households is alarming, so it considers it necessary to make a greater effort in promotion, and especially in the sectorialization of the EU promotional programs. As stated at the meeting held on 5 December with the General Director of Agriculture and Rural Development of the European Commission, Jerzy Plewa, and the Head of Unit G.2 Wine, Spirits and Horticultural Products of the General Directorate of Agriculture, Joao Onofre Antas Gonçalves, FEPEX considers it necessary to sectorialize the promotional programs co-funded by the European Commission, so that the Community budget is in line with the goals set by the European Commission itself in its Communication on the future of the CAP of 29 November. In this Communication, the Commission proposes for the "campaigns to promote healthy eating practices and increase the consumption of fruit and vegetables to be a fundamental part of the CAP's promotional activities."
Other topics discussed in the seventh session of the Plenary Meeting of the Food Chain Observatory, chaired by the General Director for the Food Industry of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Food and Environment, Fernando Burgaz, were the presentation of the Report on Commercial Practices in the Food Chain corresponding to the year 2017 and the situation of the Code of Good Commercial Practices in Food Commercial Contracts.
Publication date: 12/21/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: