- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
- Sales Consultants Fertilizer - various European countries
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Broccoli prices are sky-high
"Spain: "The lower production is having an impact on product mixes"
Tomatoes have been one of the most affected products, since the supply is around 20% lower than at this same time last year. "Tomato prices have been good throughout the season, especially for tomatoes on the vine, since in addition to the reduced plantings this year across Almeria, the start of the campaign was delayed at a time when the market had no supply of Dutch production. To this we must add the excessive drop in temperatures in recent weeks, which has ground the plants' production to a halt," says Diego Calderón, of the marketing department of Unica Group, which accounts for around 10% of Almeria's total production.
Other products have also been affected, such as cucumbers, which are marketed by the company all year round, courgettes or orange peppers, which are more sensitive than peppers of other colours.
"This slowdown in the production is having an impact on the marketing of the increasingly popular product mixes, such as tricolour or traffic light packs and specialty tomato mixes. Depending on the market and production conditions, some colours are usually more expensive than others, and this year those differences are even greater," says Diego Calderón.
"While in Spain we enjoy the advantage of having plenty of hours of sunshine and a lot of wind, both necessary for the optimal production of vegetables, our disadvantage is that the greenhouses are less hermetic and are more vulnerable to temperature drops than the Dutch greenhouses, which are equipped with heating," he explains.
Unica Group also produces broccoli all year round, and this campaign is being really tough in all of Europe due to the fact that Murcia, the continent's main broccoli supplier during the autumn and winter, is being affected by the cold temperatures with occasional frosts. The issue is that Murcian growers have planted in colder areas this year due to the lack of water.
"Broccoli prices are sky-high at the moment," says Diego Calderón. "Thanks to the fact that this year we have planted in Tudela, Navarre, we are fulfilling our programs without any problems. It is proving to be a safe area for broccoli production. We are very satisfied with it area and we will continue betting on it."
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/17/2018 Mexico starts with butternut squash
- 10/17/2018 The rise of vegan and veggie - 85% more sales compared to last year
- 10/16/2018 From knife and boots to the excitement of the greenhouse
- 10/16/2018 Consistent supply of West Coast spinach
- 10/16/2018 “Short and interesting sweet potato season from the US”
- 10/16/2018 Argentina: 80% of tomatoes from Formosa lost due to Paraguay's blockade
- 10/16/2018 Swiss lamb's lettuce season picks up speed
- 10/16/2018 ''Great development potential for novel lettuce variety Chicarita''
- 10/16/2018 China: Increase of 1-3 yuan for "people's vegetables" in Xiamen
- 10/16/2018 "Current Chinese garlic price slightly lower than same time last year"
- 10/16/2018 Artichoke grower launches fall promotion program
- 10/16/2018 Pumpkin production continues to roll strong
- 10/16/2018 Tomatoes NZ agroecology projects hoping to reduce the need for pest-reducing chemicals
- 10/15/2018 US: Demand for bell peppers on the rise
- 10/15/2018 “Watercress - a power food for all seasons”
- 10/15/2018 China: Peppers in abundance
- 10/15/2018 China: Red choy sum on the market one month early
- 10/15/2018 China: How will bumper harvest of leeks affect the price?
- 10/15/2018 Baja green bean supplies to be short after Hurricane Rosa
- 10/15/2018 Israeli cucumbers more expensive due to viruses