Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
India needs to make farming profitable and curb food inflationIndia needs to adopt a revolutionary approach to ramp up production of vegetables, in line with ‘ Operation Flood’ that made the country a global leader in milk production. This is one of the conclusions taken from the 50th edition of the SKOCH Summit, held in the national capital, where the focus is on India’s journey to 2030.
According to an article on clipper28.com, the emphasis during the two-day Summit was on the need to start an ‘Operation Veggies’ , a programme for pushing forward the production of at least tomatoes, onions and potatoes, the most commonly consumed vegetables in the country.
From its inception in 1970, ‘ Operation Flood’ made India the leading producer of milk. Now a new ‘Operation Veggies’ should not be just about increasing production; the focus should also be on the creation of storage facilities and ensuring last-mile linkages so that farmers get proper prices for their produce. Indian farmers sometimes get barely 20 to 30 percent of the price paid by the end consumers.
A proper incentive structure should be devised to make farming profitable. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s government has set a target to double farmer incomes by 2022. The government has outlined a seven-point strategy to double farmer incomes in the coming seven years.
Publication date: 12/21/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: