Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Jamaica to export bananas to TrinidadJamaica will export one container of bananas per week to Trinidad and Tobago starting Thursday. Since 2013, there has been a steady increase in banana production from just over 33,000 tonnes to 58,701 metric tonnes in 2016. The export of bananas has also been on the increase, moving from 78 tonnes in 2013 to 411 tonnes in 2016 with earnings of 47.7 million dollars.
The Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture, and Fisheries said yesterday that through a 4.73 million-euro grant funding from the Government of Jamaica and the European Union, 1,000 farmers in traditional banana-dependent areas have benefited from capacity-building training and technical advice. The Jamaica Observer learned that these were part of the Jamaica Banana Accompanying Measures Programme and the Banana Export Expansion Programme.
Through the implementation of these programmes, the banana industry has experienced a 7.5 percent increase in productivity. In addition, production of bananas and plantains has increased by 26 per cent in 2016.
Daryl Vaz, Member of Parliament for Portland Western, commended the farmers who acquired Global GAP certification. He also had high praises for the work of The Banana Board and the All Island Banana Growers' Association for their outstanding work in the redevelopment of the banana industry.
Publication date: 12/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: