- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Israel – Uganda research collaboration:
Working on virus-resistant sweet potato planting material
Newvision.co.ug reported on Dr. Peter Wasswa’s - of Makerere University- four-year project, in conjunction with Dr. Victor Gaba and Dr. Amit Gal-On at Volcani Centre, an agricultural research centre in Israel.
The project is titled ‘Sustaining Sweet Potato Productivity by Exploiting Reversion from Virus Infection‘ and it is funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, running until 2018. The researchers are developing scientiﬁc tools for breeding advanced virus-resistant sweet potatoes.
This innovation is set to guarantee cheap and sustainable planting material, appropriate for subsistence farming systems. According to Wasswa, the project seeks to provide knowledge of the natural ability of some East African sweet potato varieties to resist virus infection and on how to breed new virus-resistant sweet potato varieties.
This was revealed when a team of African journalists recently met Gaba at the Volcani Centre in Israel. The Volcani Centre serves as the research arm of Israel’s Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/26/2018 P4 ‘Onions and garlic’ module on location at Wiskerke Onions
- 09/26/2018 "Only Dutch onions go to all corners of the earth year-round"
- 09/26/2018 ‘Harvest of potatoes in Moscow region has grown by 37%’
- 09/26/2018 Ukraine: Onion prices on the rise
- 09/26/2018 Satellites safeguard Europe's potato industry
- 09/26/2018 Maine potato farmers at play in the competitive world market
- 09/25/2018 France: Onion producers invest in ultra modern factory
- 09/25/2018 Washington potatoes in ample supply
- 09/25/2018 CHINA: Rising hopes for potato market in the second half of the year
- 09/25/2018 Highland farmers in Kenya to get new potato varieties
- 09/24/2018 Philippines customs intercept ₱16 million worth of smuggled onions
- 09/24/2018 Sweden’s fries could get shorter after hot summer
- 09/21/2018 ‘All preconditions for potatoes export to EU market fulfilled’
- 09/21/2018 Potato prices soar in Spain
- 09/21/2018 TAAT sweet potato compact launched in Accra
- 09/21/2018 US Market and Crop update onions
- 09/20/2018 US potatoes - 2017 Summary
- 09/20/2018 "Potato markets supported by confirmation of low yields throughout Western Europe"
- 09/19/2018 US: Truck with no brakes spills onions near Paterson
- 09/19/2018 Uganda: Sweet potato porridge hits supermarket shelves