Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Uganda: Worms destroy potato fieldsIn the Ugandan districts of Bukedea and Kumi, a horde of strange green worms are ravaging hundreds of potato gardens, leaving the crop tasting bitter rather than sweet.
Allafrica.com learned from farmers that they first saw the worms three weeks ago. The pests have since eaten all the potato leaves and are now turning to the tubers. Mr Jude Ongota, the Bukedea District agricultural officer, identified the worms as the larvae of the potato butterfly, which feeds on the potato vines and can destroy an entire garden in a short time.
"We are appealing to the agricultural department to come up with solutions to these worms," one of the victims said. Farmers in the area are desperate. Those farmers whose potatoes have been affected are encouraged to dig them up in order to avoid total destruction.
Publication date: 12/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: