Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US grower-importer comments
Eggplant production back on track in Honduras
Eggplant growers in Honduras are enjoying good weather and conditions at the moment, which have resulted in an increase in production and improved quality. Farmers had been struggling due to hurricane conditions and heavy rain in recent months. However, they have now recovered and are back on track producing high quality eggplants.
"Our eggplant production spans all year round," said Lina Turizo, of R&R Fresh Produce based in Florida. "All of our eggplant is grown in Honduras, which is in contrast to places like the Dominican Republic and Mexico, where the majority of US imports originate. It's been a difficult past few months with hurricanes earlier this year as well as heavy rains. Production slowed down and quality had suffered during that time due to the bad weather."
"However, in the past month, we have experienced good weather and excellent growing conditions," Turizo continued. "As a result, production is up and quality has improved and we are now seeing a good supply of eggplant again from Honduras."
Current low prices typical for season
Despite a return to good, steady supply, prices for eggplant are low. This is due to a steady stream of supply from other growing regions. Demand is steady though, and suppliers say this market position is typical for this time of year.
"Right now, the price of eggplant is low, as it is for many vegetables at the moment," Turizo said. "The current market price for a 30lb box is between $12-$14. Customer demand is steady with little to no difference in demand during the Holiday period and we expect this to continue for the next few weeks. Prices are very seasonal and this situation is quite typical for this time of year. In winter, we usually see the price for eggplants dip."
For more information:
R&R Fresh Produce
Tel: +1 (305) 436-5625
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: