Job offersmore »
- VP Sales and Marketing - Warsaw
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
Top 5 - yesterday
- US Romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak quite relentless
- A challenging new citrus import season from southern hemisphere
- NZ: Spraying without chemicals, residues or health and safety issues
- Busy first day of CPMA show in sunny Vancouver
- "Rumours causing importers to switch from Chinese to Spanish garlic"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US grower-importer comments
Eggplant production back on track in Honduras
Eggplant growers in Honduras are enjoying good weather and conditions at the moment, which have resulted in an increase in production and improved quality. Farmers had been struggling due to hurricane conditions and heavy rain in recent months. However, they have now recovered and are back on track producing high quality eggplants.
"Our eggplant production spans all year round," said Lina Turizo, of R&R Fresh Produce based in Florida. "All of our eggplant is grown in Honduras, which is in contrast to places like the Dominican Republic and Mexico, where the majority of US imports originate. It's been a difficult past few months with hurricanes earlier this year as well as heavy rains. Production slowed down and quality had suffered during that time due to the bad weather."
"However, in the past month, we have experienced good weather and excellent growing conditions," Turizo continued. "As a result, production is up and quality has improved and we are now seeing a good supply of eggplant again from Honduras."
Current low prices typical for season
Despite a return to good, steady supply, prices for eggplant are low. This is due to a steady stream of supply from other growing regions. Demand is steady though, and suppliers say this market position is typical for this time of year.
"Right now, the price of eggplant is low, as it is for many vegetables at the moment," Turizo said. "The current market price for a 30lb box is between $12-$14. Customer demand is steady with little to no difference in demand during the Holiday period and we expect this to continue for the next few weeks. Prices are very seasonal and this situation is quite typical for this time of year. In winter, we usually see the price for eggplants dip."
For more information:
R&R Fresh Produce
Tel: +1 (305) 436-5625
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: