Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Very difficult weeks for Canary bananasBanana growers in the Canary Islands are going through some particularly difficult weeks, being forced to withdraw fruit from the market and selling for prices far below the product's real value, while consumers are paying much more for the domestic fruit.
The weather, with temperatures that are still too high for this time of the year, has caused a considerable increase in the production volume compared to the usual figures, which has resulted in a surplus in the volume available for marketing.
But this situation adds to the reality of the difference between the retail price for the consumer and the price at origin paid to the producers. In recent weeks, producer organizations have sold Canary bananas to the Peninsula at an average of 0.60 Euro/kg, while retailers have sold them for an average of 2 Euro/kg.
Asprocan has urged retailers to reduce their margins so that retail prices are closer to those paid to the Producer Organizations, as in recent weeks, with producers burdened by oversupply, the price difference has reached up to 220%.
Publication date: 12/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: