Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Cyclones in Western India affecting this season’s grape production
A recent cyclone has devastated the Western coastal regions of India, starting from Kerala up to Maharashtra and Gujarat. There have been heavy rains that affected the production of grapes.
Grape farmers across India have been having a terrible season. According to Pratik Mutha of Agrion Overseas Private Limited, “We could blame climate change for these devastating cyclones. This has caused a lot of damage to our early grapes which go to Europe. We’re experiencing a 50% decrease is for the early arrivals and this will cause a delay in the season."
Photo: The Indian Express
The top export variety of India is the white seedless grape, although the country also exports smaller volumes of other colored grapes to Europe. The cyclone will leave a void in the market. “Competition from South Africa, which enjoys stable quantities and prices, will probably capture the shortage in the market. While Indian producers will have grapes whose quality will only be good enough for the domestic market."
We are expecting a not so good season next year. The government has already issued warnings and forecasts of the possibility of rains in the coming months. “Farmers need to start taking precautions as early as now, to protect the quality of their produce," Mutha concludes.
For more information:
Agrion Overseas Private Limited
Whats app +91 909 666 5577
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: