Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
The shipment came from Colombia
Spain: Biggest stash of cocaine in 18 years found in banana container
Hidden in a container among Colombian bananas; this is how the second largest stash of drugs seized in Spain and the largest found in 18 years was to reach El Prat de Llobregat, in Barcelona. We are talking about 5.8 million tonnes of high purity cocaine, with a market value that would have reached 280 million Euro. Once cut, its value would have increased ten-fold. In the operation, three people were arrested, two of them in Barcelona and in charge of the logistics of the importing company.
The prior risk analysis of the goods and the commercial and maritime documentation that accompanied the banana shipment raised suspicions about the content of one of the six containers that were on board the ship "Banak", from Medellin, Colombia, and bound to El Prat via Algeciras, Cadiz.
The review and tests conducted by the Risk Analysis Unit confirmed the presence of "carefully camouflaged" drugs among the 1,000 boxes of fruit in the container. According to the police, "it had been perfectly placed in such a way that the opening of any of the boxes and the inspection of the top bunches of bananas would not reveal the drug hidden in the bottom."
Publication date: 12/7/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: