Job offersmore »
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Good market for bananas
We've had stable prices in line with the past few years, quality is high, we've had no crises and the produce should reach its peak in spring.
Francesco Galimberti (photo above) from "Frutta 10" talks about the banana market. "There has been excellent availability over the past few weeks. Prices are stable, slightly on the up. The peak will be in spring when demand is strong. Currently, top quality productions sell at €1.25/kg on the wholesale market, while second quality ones sell at €0.90/kg."
Bananas at "Frutta10"
There are two ripening facilities in Sardinia. "Frutta 10" has been working in this sector for around 30 years. Francesco is 28 and represents the third generation "In addition to the ripening service, we can provide clients with all the assistance they need. We work for the leading international brands, so we must work well. We have the ripening centre, stands at the Cagliari wholesale market and we supply retailers."
Bananas reach the ports of Civitavecchia or Livorno after a 15 day transfer from Central America. Once in Porto Torres, they are taken to the ripening centre for three days, moved to the maintaining units and distributed all over the island.
"Demand drops in summer, mainly in July and August, but remains constant during the rest of the year. Sports, a better lifestyle and healthier snacks contribute to banana consumption."
Tel.: +39 070 2326045
Fax: +39 070 2298313
Publication date: 12/4/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: