Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
China: Cold weather pushes up vegetable prices
Winter has brought cold air and high vegetable prices to Beijing. The latest data show that the weighted average price of vegetables in the Beijing Xinfadi Market has increased by 3.54% compared to the previous statistical cycle. Most affected were the prices of zucchini and cauliflower, which have risen by 30 to 60%.
Liu Tong from the Xinfadi Market statistics department said that the change in vegetable prices is in line with seasonal fluctuations. It is natural that the prices of vegetables rise after the cold weather begins. The wholesale price of zucchini reached 2.4-3.4 yuan per kilo, which is a 31.28% rise compared to the previous statistical cycle.
Liu Tong explained that because of the winter cold, the speed at which zucchini grows is slower than before. Newly arrived zucchinis were grown in the heated greenhouses and their price is higher. After the price of Northern zucchini increased, zucchinis from Yunnan and Guanxi, that were grown in the open air, will enter the Market and prices are likely to stabilise thereafter.
Source: Beijing Evening News
Publication date: 12/4/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: