Job offersmore »
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- New Zealand company creates robots for horticulture
- NZ: The apple varieties putting the focus back into taste
- Hydroponics, focusing on nutritional value per hectare
- Maersk outlines techniques to preserve quality of blueberries during shipment
- Fresh Del Monte Produce to buy back $300 million in outstanding shares
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Honeyberries are very scarce
China: "Worldwide honeyberry production limited"
"The honeyberry, or blue honeysuckle, is a kind of berry. There are only few areas where the honeysuckle can grow. In China, only Heilongjiang is suitable for growing honeyberries. They turn ripe in the beginning of June every year, and last until the beginning of July, so this year's season has already ended. I think that next year's market price will rise 10%-30%, because the people's familiarity with the fruit has increased," states Mr. Wang Feng, CEO of Heilongjiang Mai Xu Agricultural Development Co., Ltd.
"China has only been breeding honeyberries for a short time. In 2000, the Northeast Agricultural University introduced some breeds and resources from Russia and Japan, and took the lead by starting breeding research. Later, some agriculture and forestry researchers from Heilongjiang and Jilin also brought in some breeds from Russia. Beilei is one of the most widely used breeds."
Coin sized honeyberries
"Because of limitations in the production environment, the worldwide honeyberry production is very limited, and mostly focused in America, Canada, Russia and Japan. In China, the people all know blueberries, but the awareness of honeyberries is very low. However, together with the Small Berry Association, we have started with promotions this year. I believe that, within one year, the honeyberry awareness will have improved drastically in China and worldwide."
Freshly harvested honeyberries
"We have 30 hectares of honeyberry fields in Hua'nan county in Kiamusze, Heilongjiang. By next year, this will have grown to 100 hectares. Under our brand 'Feng Yiran', our honeyberries are mostly sold in premium packaging to supermarkets and blueberry processing companies in first and second tier cities in China. As our production area is increasing, we will probably produce over 100 tons next year and the year after. In the next few years, while we are developing a brand that suits the Chinese people, we are also hoping to join hands with Canadian processers or sellers, so that we can start exporting our honeyberries to Canada."
Wang Feng - CEO
Heilongjiang Mai Xu Agricultural Development Co., Ltd.
Phone: +86 177 4510 8277
Publication date: 12/4/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: