Job offersmore »
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Derisory prices for first clementines from CalabriaClementine producers from Calabria report that some supermarkets are selling the fruit at €0.50/kg, i.e. below production costs.
"Such prices for produce that is healthy and of a high quality is offensive to agriculture and to producer dignity," says Giorgio Salimbeni, President of Consorzio della Clementina Calabrese IGP.
"It's not possible to go on like this, especially when volumes are 30% below average and of excellent quality. These retailer policies bring us to our knees and help criminals and 'caporalato'. We need rules and minister Martina must do something."
Antonio Schiavelli, President of National Producer Union UNAPROA, added that "it's not possible to apply such low prices. Driving down the value of such an excellent product damages retailer themselves, as they have no margins."
"It also means there is no respect for those working the land, for the real value of a product. It's unethical."
"We need radical change, otherwise a difference of just a few cents will damage agriculture in southern Italy, and Calabria in particular, irreparably."
Publication date: 12/4/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: