Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Greenyard estimates damage of recall at 30 million Euros
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- Looking inside the packing house of a California avocado grower-shipper
- Socially conscious blueberry program links consumers with farmers
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Low supplies in Europe after banana producers destroyed 'excess' harvestAccording to Marek Szulc from Polish importer Citronex, Northern Europe is currently experiencing a banana shortage due to both bad weather in the tropics and a production curve.
"The banana harvest in Central America during September and October was so huge, that many producers there decided to destroy 'excess' bananas, which has caused supplies to go down significantly in October and November," said Szulc.
Current production levels are somewhat normal, despite levels being below previous forecasts in Costa Rica, Colombia and Ecuador.
"Along with decreased quality because of the cold weather, we also have smaller volumes arriving to Europe and what we have here is very expensive. Banana prices in the tropics are super high and many importers decreased volumes because of high risk.
Szulc said that it was also important to keep in mind that the hurricane that hit Martinique and the Dominican Republic a few months ago has also had an impact on supplies.
"At the time, we weren't too concerned with the losses here in Europe because it was during a period where there was low demand. Now that demand has increased, we are really missing bananas."
For more information:
Citronex Sp. zoo
Tel : +48 75 77 21 943
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: