- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Kenyan producers seeing interest from China
Urban Fresh Ventures was at the Amsterdam Produce Show to promote their produce to Europe but, according to June Gathoni from the company, they have also set their sights towards the east.
Urban Fresh produce a range of beans, herbs, chillies and fruit.
"We have 700 acres under production and then we also have tunnels where we grow the high value vegetables, so our production is quite big and we have the capacity to increase it even further," explains June. "In addition to our own production on our own farms we have contract growers in Kenya and Tanzania. "Our main products are French beans, snow peas, sugar snaps, chillies and herbs both fresh and dried, mangoes, avocados and passion fruit.
"In the last few years the demand for herbs has increased considerably. I think it has to do with the chefs on TV using more fresh products which has upped demand. We didn't even grow them before, but now every other customer wants herbs so we have been able to get into that market.
"The climate is a worry for all growers wherever they are, this why we have invested in tunnels, we need to be able to produce year round and not worry about availability. We also have drip irrigation for our open field crops which means we don't have to worry about a lack of water," said June.
At the moment the company exports to the Netherlands, France, Hong Kong, Dubai and Qatar.
"We are always looking for new markets, we are seeing if we can penetrate the Asian market with Asian vegetables. We are even seeing some interest from China and in the coming two years we will concentrate on these markets, there are also possibilities in the other African markets as well."
For more information:
Urban Fresh Vegetables
Tel: +254 721 644 863
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-16 Russia: White cabbage prices up by an average of 20%
- 2018-11-16 High prices for cucumbers and aubergines
- 2018-11-16 Mexico wants to increase vegetable exports to China
- 2018-11-16 Mini cherry vine tomatoes at Penny in new Best Moments packaging
- 2018-11-16 Tomato suspension agreement between US Department of Commerce and Mexican tomato growers remains in effect
- 2018-11-15 Italy: Outlook for the courgette campaign
- 2018-11-15 Michigan grower welcomes average year for turnips
- 2018-11-15 “Difficult start to Breton cauliflower season”
- 2018-11-15 Italy: Sardinian spiny artichoke campaign has started
- 2018-11-15 Cuba will resume hot pepper exports
- 2018-11-15 Balanced potato and onion market, below average carrot harvest
- 2018-11-15 "Few consumers still grate horseradish themselves"
- 2018-11-14 “Prices of cucumbers and iceberg lettuce rising, minimum prices for green bell pepper”
- 2018-11-14 China: Winter stock of Chinese cabbage enters the market
- 2018-11-14 "Consumption of cauliflower is growing in France”
- 2018-11-14 Green beans gear up for Thanksgiving
- 2018-11-14 Spain: COAG proposes contracts to set fixed vegetable prices
- 2018-11-14 Spain: Almeria taking advantage of Morocco's lower zucchini production
- 2018-11-14 "Jade cherry tomatoes enter harvest season, sales volume is stable"
- 2018-11-14 Celery supplies good ahead of Thanksgiving rush