Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Peri-Urban Ag: a solution for urbanization in IndiaIndian agriculture has seen rapid growth in fruit, vegetable, dairy and fishery production, according to Union Ag and Farmers Welfare Minister, Shri Radha Mohan Singh. He said that their unprecedented development in ag production is; 'setting an example for the world'.
The Ministry is hoping to double farmer's incomes by 2022 by continuing to increase production, but to also implement proper processing techniques and infrastructure for market expansion.
With an eye on 'Peri-Urban' agriculture, which means having small and large scale agriculture production located around the cities, the government feels that this type of agriculture can help with climate change, by diversifying food resources for urban populations. It is hoped that by creating attractive employment options, less agricultural land located near cities and towns will be swallowed up by land conversion.
The Minister said that Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH) has helped in production and productivity, post-harvest management and marketing by providing assistance in the production of quality seeds, protected agriculture, vegetable and organic farming.
"Due to rapid urbanization in the past years, demand for vegetables, fruits and flowers is constantly increasing in urban areas and Peri-Urban Agriculture can contribute to price stabilization through the development of important local food production centres of the diversified food system. This will reduce the burden on transport, and help in reducing greenhouse gas emissions from cold storage," said Singh.
Publication date: 11/30/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: