Job offersmore »
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: High avocado prices attract thievesThe recent start of the avocado campaign in Malaga has coincided with the first cases of theft in the field, raising great concerns among producers in the province. The latest case has been reported by a producer in the municipality of Torrox. He denounced the theft of about 1,000 kilos of avocados which, given the current price at origin (exceeding 3.30 Euro per kilo), will reach a market value of about 3,000 Euro.
But this has not been the only case. In Estepona, a producer has already suffered three thefts from his avocado plantation in less than a month. The same is happening in other avocado producing areas, such as Vélez-Málaga, where the crop has expanded strongly. This has led the Police to enforce special surveillance with the support of a helicopter that flies over the area even at night.
Because of the crop's characteristics, and given that the fruit can remain for a long time on the tree, this surveillance will have to be enforced for some time.
According to the sector, due to the significant demand for this fruit in the European market this year, prices are reaching record levels, to the point that even the green skin varieties are more expensive than in the previous campaign. In the case of the Hass, there are experts who think that this year's price at origin may exceed 4 Euro per kilo.
Publication date: 11/28/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: