Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- “Single pineapple box ready for introduction”
- "Packing under our own brand is about driving innovation, driving taste, adding value"
- Central Valley grape crop benefits from lack of extreme heat
- Multi-million dollar campaign and in-store displays drive Halos mandarin sales
- Plums and cherries: Delicious new hybrid from California
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Walmart plans to sell Japanese supermarket unit Seiyu
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: High avocado prices attract thievesThe recent start of the avocado campaign in Malaga has coincided with the first cases of theft in the field, raising great concerns among producers in the province. The latest case has been reported by a producer in the municipality of Torrox. He denounced the theft of about 1,000 kilos of avocados which, given the current price at origin (exceeding 3.30 Euro per kilo), will reach a market value of about 3,000 Euro.
But this has not been the only case. In Estepona, a producer has already suffered three thefts from his avocado plantation in less than a month. The same is happening in other avocado producing areas, such as Vélez-Málaga, where the crop has expanded strongly. This has led the Police to enforce special surveillance with the support of a helicopter that flies over the area even at night.
Because of the crop's characteristics, and given that the fruit can remain for a long time on the tree, this surveillance will have to be enforced for some time.
According to the sector, due to the significant demand for this fruit in the European market this year, prices are reaching record levels, to the point that even the green skin varieties are more expensive than in the previous campaign. In the case of the Hass, there are experts who think that this year's price at origin may exceed 4 Euro per kilo.
Publication date: 11/28/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: