Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
MIO Potato Report Kw 47/17
Table potato market East GermanyMecklenburg - Western Pomerania
The stable trend on the table potato market continues this week. The level of producers’ prices and that of peeled potatoes has remained stable compared to the previous week. It is assumed that price levels will remain stable until Christmas. Packers report a gentle demand. There is a sufficient supply of good quality regional potatoes available. There are reports of higher losses through selection than in the previous year. Some varieties germinate unusually early in storage. The seed business abroad is in full swing. Not all seed potatoes are cleared in this region; there are still some potatoes for processing in the ground. The fields are very wet and therefore difficult to work.
The table potato market in this region is divided into two parts. Inexpensive commodities are forced onto the market, often times at promotional prices. The regional food commodities demanded by the retail chains are not available everywhere in sufficient quantity and quality. Higher storage surcharges for domestic warehousing can not be enforced in the retail sector, so that the producers’ prices sometimes had to be slightly reduced. In the meantime, only sweated potatoes are being packed; delivery of field potatoes from Saxony-Anhalt has ended. In this region, residual quantities of starch potatoes are still to be cleared. The price standstill on the peeled potatoes market continues.
The situation on the table potato market has not changed compared to the previous week. The producers’ prices are stable. However, the demand for mark-ups for high-quality stock goods continues to exist with regard to retail chains. Furthermore, in view of the holidays this week, promotional products are again dominating the business. In the past week, retailer sales were normal for the season. The prices for raw and steamed peeled potatoes remain unchanged at the levels of the previous week.
Producers’ prices for table potatoes remain at the level of the previous week. The demand situation has not changed significantly in this region. Supply continues to exceed demand. Online retail companies continue to report weak domestic sales. In the retail chains, parties are steadily trying to spur sales on by means of promotional products. The export business was revived a bit. Large quantities of table potatoes are being delivered to Poland and the Czech Republic. The potato harvest is finished except for residual quantities. Only provisionally stored potatoes now have yet to be cleared. The prices for peeled potatoes are at the levels of the previous week.
At the table potato market, demand is typically low. The prices remain stable at last week's levels. Far-reaching changes in prices are not expected in the foreseeable future, since supplies are plentiful. However, there are still demands for stock surcharges for high-quality stock items. The last stocks in provisional warehouses are cleared. The peeled potatoes prices remains unchanged at last week’s level.
Publication date: 11/28/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: