Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Honduras to produce a thousand tons of Hass avocados
Honduras will produce one thousand metric tons of Hass avocado this year, according to the goal proposed by authorities of the National Agro-Food Development Program (Pronagro), a unit attached to the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock.
The cultivation of this fruit is part of a policy promoted by the government to replace imported avocados that amount to approximately 11 million dollars, equivalent to more than 253 million lempiras.
According to statistics from Pronagro, Honduras has about 200 Hass avocado producers who already have 300 hectares harvested and 500 hectares planted.
The producing areas are Danli, El Paraíso, Siguatepeque, Comayagua, and the mountainous region of Azacualpa in Francisco Morazán.
Hass avocado is the main commercial avocado variety in the world. It is sold to the United States, Israel, the Canary Islands, Southern Spain, Mexico, and South America.
Honduras has identified some varieties of the Antillean race, such as the Wilson Popenoe, Simmons, Belize, Sureño, Choquette, Booth 7, Booth 8, November, Catalina, Simpson, and Lula varieties. Honduras also grows the Hass variety, which is as a hybrid obtained from the crossing of Guatemalan and Mexican varieties.
Publication date: 11/29/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: