Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- WAPA: EU expects biggest apple harvest in 10 years
- Indiana Troopers find 1 million dollars worth of marijuana stashed with lettuce
Top 5 - last month
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Wawona acquires stone fruit breeding operations of Burchell Nursery
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Walmart: purchase of Perimercados, Super Compro and Saretto
- New Transatlantic route brings huge vessels to Port of Liverpool
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Montana cherry growers vote to continue pest control 'check-off'
Montana's cherry growers are voting on whether to continue a "check-off" that funds market research, education and pest control for orchards around Flathead Lake.
The state Department of Agriculture mailed about 100 ballots to producers on Nov. 16. They are due back on Dec. 1.
State officials tell the Daily Inter Lake that a majority decision will be honoured, no matter how many ballots are returned.
The program started 15 years ago to combat an infestation of cherry fruit flies. It receives between $10,000 and $30,000 a year by collecting 0.5 percent of proceeds from growers' first point of sale. The first 300 pounds of cherries are exempt.
Supporters say the program is important, but others argue there's no mechanism to collect the money and that some growers don't contribute.
Publication date: 11/27/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: