Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
- "As soon as I saw the Kiwano melon I thought - this is something special"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Swiss acreage of early potatoes to be reducedRepresentatives of production and trade have approved the ‘Early Potato Concept 2018’. The aim is a needs-based cultivation planning. For next year, the acreage is to be reduced.
The concept remains unchanged compared to previous years, Swisspatat announced. The supply of the market with domestic hard-boiling potatoes (green line) during the transition phase from stock potatoes to the newly-harvested domestic potatoes poses a major challenge to the industry every year, it goes on to say.
In order for the market to be served as early as possible with Swiss early potatoes, it is important that those potato varieties be cultivated in the early areas.
According to Swisspatat, the early potato area in 2017 reached its upper limit. Only thanks to the empty warehouses could the entire harvest be marketed. The acreage for 2018 must necessarily be reduced slightly, in order to maintain a healthy supply and demand situation.
Publication date: 11/27/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: