Job offersmore »
- Agronomist (Certified Crop Advisor) - Fresno (CA), USA
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
New water-wise bin washers available for South African fruit producers
Hygiene plays a major role when perishable products like fruit have to be harvested and transported to the packing shed, especially when a major overseas journey lies ahead.
Up until now, South African producers have been relying on imported automatic bin washers to ensure sparkling clean bins for a pristine start. But enormous importation costs have been a drawback and producers who could not afford these had to rely on labour and water intensive cleaning of bins with high pressure hoses, sometimes only at the end of the season.
Welcome news is MED Automation’s announcement that they have developed affordable bin washers for the South African market. Three models are available and eight units have already been installed.
MED’s Wiekus Venter says the locally-designed washers will make it easier for producers to meet the newly introduced specifications for fruit quality.
“A dirty bin can lead to contamination and soil or other dirt may also cause physical damage. The development and production of affordable bin washers enables us to serve a larger portion of the market, who will now find it easier to take these risks out of packaging.”
Two models wash the inside and outside of bins and a third has been designed for a bottom wash. Washers can be installed as part of a line or as separate units.
Up to 100 bins – with sizes ranging from 1 000 x 1 200 x 735 mm to 1300 x 250 x 850 mm – can be washed in one hour.
“The fact that wastewater can be filtered and recycled is a huge plus,” says Venter.
For more information:
Tel: +27 083 228 6426
Publication date: 11/24/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: