Job offersmore »
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
Farah Abou El Roub, Valstar:
"Kale gaining popularity in the Middle East"
Kale is currently abundantly available in the Netherlands, and is becoming increasingly popular in America. It is, however, also popular in the Middle East. So says Farah Abou El Roub, Middle Eastern Account Manager at Valstar, a fresh produce wholesaler based in the Netherlands. "Here at Valstar, we are always on the look-out for new products and ideas in order to provide our Middle Eastern customers with interesting and successful products.
Green Kale is particularly popular. The newer varieties like Cavolo Nera and Red Kale do not sell as well. Farah says, "Customers are curious about these varieties, and then we send a sample so they can try it. We always get positive reactions to these samples."
Farah cannot say with certainty why there is such an increase in popularity in the Middle East. "It surprised me too. Kale is, however, well-known as a healthy product. You can also use it in all sorts of dishes, including Asian dishes", she says. Farah has her roots in Jordan, and when she is there on holiday, she comes across this product mostly in hotels and at upscale events. "I have yet to see it in local markets, but the retailers are including it more and more in their assortment."
For more information:
Farah Abou El Roub
110 ABC Westland
2685 DB Poeldijk
T: +31 174 530 800
Publication date: 11/24/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: