Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Walmart plans to sell Japanese supermarket unit Seiyu
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Chile creates a seal to certify organic products
For a food to be organic, the entire production and marketing process behind it must comply with the technical standards required by the regulations. This includes the isolation of the property to avoid the contamination of neighbors; soil management and conservation through the application of humus, compost or other material rich in organic matter; that the native vegetation that surrounds it be protected; that there is no contamination, and not using synthetic and/or chemical products for the control of pests, as it is prohibited.
How to know, then, if the product you are buying is really organic? Since 2007, all organic products sold in the country must have - by law - a certification that proves that these production standards are met and that the Agricultural and Livestock Service (SAG) is in charge of auditing them. Any consumer can demand it.
But that happens little in practice, which is why the SAG - by legal mandate of the Ministry of Agriculture - decided to create an official seal that distinguishes organic, ecological and/or biological products.
The result was the Organic Seal, a seal that all the processed products that are offered and promoted under that concept must have by law.
Publication date: 11/23/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: