Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Despite a 50% fall in yields
Peru: PIura's grape supply will only decrease by 30%
The coastal El Niño decreased the table grape's yields per hectare by 50% in Piura. However an increase in areas under production will mean that the supply of fruit in this region will only be reduced by 30% compared to 2016.
This was pointed out by the general manager of the Beta Agroindustrial Complex, Lionel Arce Orbegozo, who also stressed that his company in Piura had been as affected as the region.
"The excess of rain and the high clouds affected fertilization, which led to a lower production of bunches per plant which resulted in a drop in production," he said.
He also said that the Beta Agroindustrial Complex had 500 hectares of table grapes in Piura (400 hectares of Seedless and 100 hectares of Red Globe). He also stated that of the total areas installed in this region, 400 hectares had begun to produce in the previous season.
Producers expect good prices
The general manager of the Beta Agroindustrial Complex said that the silver lining was that they expected table grape prices in the international markets would be better than in the previous year because of the lower supply.
"The United States is having a normal campaign, and we hope it ends a little earlier than usual. Meanwhile, Chile's campaign is slightly delayed. As a result, we expect prices will be better," he said.
Publication date: 11/23/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: