Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Wawona acquires stone fruit breeding operations of Burchell Nursery
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Walmart: purchase of Perimercados, Super Compro and Saretto
- New Transatlantic route brings huge vessels to Port of Liverpool
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: Health benefits to drive increased Broccolini® consumption
One of Australia's leading fresh produce companies is turning to education to help increase awareness of one of its more popular items, Broccolini®
Perfection Fresh has enlisted the help of health experts to help promote the benefits of the versatile green, which is a unique mix of broccoli and Chinese kale, to drive consumption.
It is part of the brassica family – that also includes broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and kale. The vegetable was introduced to Australia by Perfection Fresh in 1999 and is now grown in five states and available all year round.
Nutritionist Jessica Sepel has always been a fan of the Broccolini's® healthy credentials.
“For me they are the definition of ‘superfood’ and Perfection Broccolini® is the stand-out - so tasty, nutritious and versatile.” Ms Sepel said. “It’s just so much green goodness. I recommend to my clients to serve these veggies with each meal - yes even breakfast.”
She adds there are four main nutritional benefits of the Broccolini®.
"Forget smoothing on skin creams containing beta-carotene – eat it instead," Ms Sepel said. "Perfection Broccolini® contains beta-carotene for healthy skin as well as a phytochemical called sulforaphane which is an anti-cancer compound and also has antioxidant effects on the body helping to protect skin cells and reduce inflammation. These are just two reasons going green will give your skin a healthy glow."
Ms Sepel says the brassica family, including Broccolini®, are also rich in indole 3 carbinol, which is an enzyme that assists with liver detoxification and in turn, promotes hormonal balance. While it is also high in vitamin A and C - key anti-ageing vitamins that help to fight off inflammation and keep the immune system strong. It is also packed with essential nutrients, potassium for the heart and beta-carotene for healthy skin.
"We are now learning so much about the importance of good gut health and how it provides the foundation for a healthy body," Ms Sepel said. "Perfection Broccolini® is high in fibre which helps to feed the good bacteria in your digestive system and acts as a prebiotic for the gut."
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: