Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Walmart plans to sell Japanese supermarket unit Seiyu
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Positive start to Peru sweet onion season
Vidalia sweet onions have ended in Georgia and therefore many suppliers are looking to Peru to fill inventories until the next season rolls around. Growing conditions have been very good and production early in the season was high. As the next few months progress, suppliers are expecting a slight dip in volume.
"We are in the middle of our Peru sweet onion program, which starts in September and finishes in late February," said Jeff Rhoden of Bland Farms. "Peru onions are a Granex seed varieties, the same as our Vidalia sweet onions. The growing conditions have been good with plenty of sunlight, cool nights and dry conditions, producing a good flavor profile for the onions. Initial volumes at the beginning of the season have been right on target but we project a slight decrease in shipments from Peru as compared to past seasons over the next 2 months."
Market strong as Holiday season approaches
Demand for sweet onions is peaking as the Thanksgiving Holiday approaches. Prices are steady at the moment but suppliers continue to monitor the market as demand continues to strengthen.
"Demand is excellent," continued Rhoden. "Demand increases at this time of the year as Thanksgiving comes around and remains strong throughout the holiday season. The market has been steady since the beginning of the program with current prices around $18 - $20 FOB for a 40# unit."
"Lil' O's" Mini Sweet Onions to hit shelves next month
Bland Farms recently announced a new line of mini sweet onions at the PMA Fresh Summit last month. These smaller onions will be available year round and the company plans to have them on shelves by early December.
"We are excited to announce the arrival of our 'Lil’ O’s' which are gourmet mini sweet onions that will be offered year round," Rhoden said. '''Lil’ O’s' are the perfect size for individual use, such as salad toppers, burger toppers, etc. These sweet Lil’ O’s are also perfect for environmentally conscious millennials who are striving to reduce food waste. The Lil’ O’s will come packed 18 2# bags in a DRC that can stand alone and or be placed in a shipper. We plan to have Lil’ O’s hitting stores by the beginning of December. Since the unveiling of Lil’ O’s at PMA in October this item has received a lot of attention and positive feedback from our customers."
For more information:
Tel: +1 (800) 354-1240
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: