Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Pakistan farmers welcome rain after two weeks of toxic smog
The much-awaited rainfall in Pakistanís twin cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi, as well as other parts of the country, has reduced the intensity of the toxic smog that had prevailed over the last two weeks, which affected the agriculture sector in the country.
On Tuesday, rain and thunderstorms were reported in Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Lahore, and Faisalabad. Other areas such as Multan, Sibbi divisions and the northern parts of Baluchistan province also received light rain.
Baluchistan, particularly the cities of Ziarat and Quetta, saw the winter seasonís first snowfall on Monday, bringing temperatures down.
ďZiarat has received first snowfall of the season which was recorded between 1-2 inches in hilly and plane areas,Ē said a senior weather department official in Balochistan.
According to Pakistan Meteorological Department, more rain and thunderstorm with snowfall on hills is expected in the next 12 hours in scattered places.
The first spell of winter rain is indeed a relief for farmers and the broader agriculture sector, as the prevailing dry spell and smog was harmful for the growth of all citrus fruits including oranges, which are in ripening stage on thousands of hectares across the country.
The current rain spell could add a positive impact on fruit orchards as well as boost their production, according to the Food Security Commissioner of the Ministry of National Food Security and Research, Dr Imtiaz Ahmad Gopang.
Publication date: 11/15/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: