Job offersmore »
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
- Sales Estimator - Vineland Station, Ontario Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Wawona acquires stone fruit breeding operations of Burchell Nursery
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Walmart: purchase of Perimercados, Super Compro and Saretto
- New Transatlantic route brings huge vessels to Port of Liverpool
Exchange ratesmore »
Scientists invent app to increase Australian's vegetable consumption
Scientists have invented an app to take on the nation’s poor vegetable intake, as new research shows two thirds of Australians aren’t getting their daily veggie needs.
The CSIRO’s new VegEze app aims to encourage healthier eating habits for the long-term, by getting users in the swing of a new routine through a 21-day ‘Do 3 at Dinner’ challenge.
“We need a fresh approach to improve Australia’s vegetable consumption and overall diet quality,” said Professor Manny Noakes, CSIRO’s Senior Principal Research Scientist.
“Our research found two out of three Australian adults are not eating enough vegetables, especially as part of their evening meal. It’s time to find more engaging, effective approaches to help break these entrenched diet habits.”
The VegEze app uses a gamified approach, an intake tracker and daily reminders so users stay motivated to transform their eating patterns.
Eating three different vegetables at dinner as part of the challenge means that users are also more likely to stamp out the bad stuff, as a larger portion of their meal is made up of vegetables.
“Committing to eating more vegetables every day is one of the most important ways we can improve our health today. Boosting your intake can be as easy as having three types of vegetables taking up half of your dinner plate,” Professor Noakes said.
“After just a few weeks using the app every day, users should feel more confident in adding more vegetables to their menu and notice some positive changes to their health and wellbeing.”
Information from the VegEze app will feed back into CSIRO’s study of Australian’s vegetable consumption.
Publication date: 11/13/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: