Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- “Single pineapple box ready for introduction”
- "Packing under our own brand is about driving innovation, driving taste, adding value"
- Central Valley grape crop benefits from lack of extreme heat
- Multi-million dollar campaign and in-store displays drive Halos mandarin sales
- Plums and cherries: Delicious new hybrid from California
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Walmart plans to sell Japanese supermarket unit Seiyu
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Nigeria reached $597 million in agriculture exports
Nigeria made N212.73 billion (USD $597 million) from agricultural product exports at the end of the fourth quarter of 2016.
According to a report, at the end of 2016, agricultural goods, as a share of total trade, received N212.73 billion at 4.02 per cent.
“Agricultural goods’ exports were 2.7 per cent higher in the fourth quarter of 2016 than third quarter of the year.’’
According to the report, cashew nuts in the shell made N0.95 billion.
It stated that the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development had commenced work on the development of a five-year (2017-2021) action plan on Single Quality Control Management Plan, as recommended by the European Union.
“The plan is to meet international standards, inter-state trading and global acceptance of the nation’s commodities."
“The commodities targeted for exports include cashew, pineapple, banana, ginger, pulses, potato, fruit and vegetables and more.’’
“Displeased to share the latest rejection of our produce at the European Union Border Controls, the ministry has commenced steps towards bringing the standards of Nigeria’s agricultural exports to global standards."
“This culminated in two meetings held in Lagos, in January and February 2017, on food safety and zero reject of agricultural products."
“Standards and Quality control measures are now being developed in response to the rejection, last year, of exports (as in beans in the EU and some other commodities),’’ the report said.
It added that the ministry was taking a pioneering role in the mechanisms to safeguard Nigeria’s agricultural exports from being rejected at the frontier markets.
The publication was edited by Femi Adesina, Special Adviser to the President, Media and Publicity; Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President, Media and Publicity, and Laolu Akande, Senior Special Assistant to the President, Media and Publicity, (Office of the Vice President).
The book, authored by the Presidential Media Team, is a documentation of the notable achievements of the Muhammadu Buhari-led APC administration since it was inaugurated on May 29, 2015.
President Buhari wrote the foreword of the 348-page book, containing milestones of all the federal ministries and some select departments and agencies in the last two years.
The Buhari Media Support Group also contributed to the compendium rich with text and visuals.
The book will be reviewed by Prince Tony Momoh while APC National leader Bola Tinubu is the keynote speaker/book Presenter.
1 Nigerian Naira = 0.0028 US Dollar
Publication date: 11/13/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: