Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
Afghanistan produced 15% more potatoes compared to 2016
Bamyan, the largest potato producing province in Afghanistan, produced 350,000 tons of the carbohydrate rich vegetable this year, showing an increase over last year’s yield.
Abdul Wahab Mohammadi, head of the Agriculture and Livestock department, told Pajhwok Afghan News during an exclusive chat, that around 60,000 farmers were associated with potato crops in the province.
Mohammadi added that 50,000 tons more potatoes were produced this year, - an increase of 15% - compared to the previous year amid soaring prices.
Last year, the price of seven kilograms of potatoes hovered between USD $0.16 - 0.25 per kg while this year the price of the same amount of potatoes cost USD $0.21 - 0.33 per kg.
Haji Mohammad Ali, one of the farmers, said a small number of farmers benefited from storage constructed by NGOs. He asked the agriculture ministry to establish more storage under the farmer support scheme.
Haji Mohammad Ali said “Farmers really need more storage because the facility helps and encourages them a lot.”
“They don’t have the capacity to store potatoes by themselves.”
Mohammad Salman, a resident of Shaibar district, who has been provided with a storage house facility by the agriculture ministry, said he was able to store 25 tons of potatoes and take them out in spring to the market.
Publication date: 11/13/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: