Job offersmore »
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
Top 5 - yesterday
- UK importer & Mexican lime producer plan to launch organic Fair-Trade alternative
- Australian grower recognized for efforts in China
- Earlier 2018 Mexican table grape season kick off expected
- “Increased availability will boost US lemon consumption”
- “Since 2002, US avocado consumption has grown 250 percent”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Missouri pecan growers see much better harvests after last year's disappointment
Missouri area pecan growers are expecting better production this year compared to last years dismal totals.
“With the pecan industry you have a lot of highs and lows,” Joe Wilson said.
Wilson is an area pecan grower and co-owner of Missouri Northern Pecan Growers.
Following last years harvest of a mere 250,000 pounds of pecans in the Vernon and Bates County area, Wilson said he is expecting as much as 3.5 million pounds — almost double the average — out of this year’s harvest which began in mid-October and will continue into early 2018.
He said dramatic variations in pecan harvests are not uncommon — a low crop last year and good moisture this year contributed to the above average crop.
Wilson estimates the pecan industry adds between $7-8 million dollars to the local economy and creates jobs for more than 100 seasonal workers, many of whom return year after year.
“One thing we’ve seen in the last 15 years or so is that a lot more farmers are recognizing the value of their pecan trees and the price is higher for pecans now typically,” Wilson said.
He explained the price of uncracked pecans has tripled in recent years.
Publication date: 11/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: