Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Sale of French potatoes posing as domestic production is denouncedThe Association of Young Agricultural Producers of Castile-Leon, Asaja, has denounced in a statement the alleged distribution of French potatoes posing as domestic production in Mercadona supermarkets.
According to Asaja, the retailer is promoting "the new domestic potato" with big posters, but in fact, when reading the fine print, you see that they actually come from France.
"Once again, the retail sector is trying to sell imported potatoes as Spanish, when they are only packed here," said Asaja of Castile-Leon in a statement, which also calls for Mercadona to immediately stop using this trick in its stores.
The association was said to be surprised about the supermarket chain doing this just now, when the market is flooded with domestic potatoes at low prices, because growers have been forced to sell them for between 6 and 8 cents per kilo - "well below the production costs."
"Once again, retailers play by their own rules, completely ignoring the problems suffered by Spanish producers and the preferences of consumers," stressed the association.
As a measure to prevent these drawbacks, Asaja has asked consumers to support Spanish producers when choosing the products at the store and give priority to the domestic market. At the moment, the region produces one million of the three million tonnes of potatoes consumed in the territory.
Publication date: 11/9/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: