Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Sale of French potatoes posing as domestic production is denouncedThe Association of Young Agricultural Producers of Castile-Leon, Asaja, has denounced in a statement the alleged distribution of French potatoes posing as domestic production in Mercadona supermarkets.
According to Asaja, the retailer is promoting "the new domestic potato" with big posters, but in fact, when reading the fine print, you see that they actually come from France.
"Once again, the retail sector is trying to sell imported potatoes as Spanish, when they are only packed here," said Asaja of Castile-Leon in a statement, which also calls for Mercadona to immediately stop using this trick in its stores.
The association was said to be surprised about the supermarket chain doing this just now, when the market is flooded with domestic potatoes at low prices, because growers have been forced to sell them for between 6 and 8 cents per kilo - "well below the production costs."
"Once again, retailers play by their own rules, completely ignoring the problems suffered by Spanish producers and the preferences of consumers," stressed the association.
As a measure to prevent these drawbacks, Asaja has asked consumers to support Spanish producers when choosing the products at the store and give priority to the domestic market. At the moment, the region produces one million of the three million tonnes of potatoes consumed in the territory.
Publication date: 11/9/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: