Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Tuscan nursery produces olive tree resistant to Xylella"Leccino CSS 02 Minerva" is one of the clones patented by Vivai Attilio Sonnoli (Pistoia). A scientific assessment carried out by Istituto per la Protezione sostenibile delle piante-CNR in Bari reported that, in addition to being resistant to cold temperatures and producing larger olive quantities of a better quality, the variety is also resistant to Xylella as part of the Leccino cultivar.
The note reads that "Minerva was declared resistant to Xylella because it is part of the Leccino family, a polyclonal variety that had already been declared resistant to Xylella by the Institute." The resistance levels of Diana and Tosca will also be assessed. Minerva olive trees are also resistant to cold temperatures, they produce larger olives (30/40% more than standard Leccino varieties) and therefore larger quantities leading to improved oil quality."
It is perfect for olive growers in Puglia, who have just been granted the possibility of replanting infected areas by the European Community.
Publication date: 11/9/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: