Job offersmore »
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
Top 5 - yesterday
- UK importer & Mexican lime producer plan to launch organic Fair-Trade alternative
- Australian grower recognized for efforts in China
- Earlier 2018 Mexican table grape season kick off expected
- “Increased availability will boost US lemon consumption”
- “Since 2002, US avocado consumption has grown 250 percent”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
New device helps determine kiwi taste before picking
Kiwifruit growers could have a new and productive tool at their disposal. Industrial designer William Lockwood-Geck’s hand-held scanner which measures the quality of the fruit, is already attracting attention.
Called the Harvest Manager 300, the scanner helps growers identify when the fruit is ready to be picked and also promises to be a cost-saving as much as a time-saving device.
His conceptual design is part of the end-of-year Exposure exhibition being staged by final year students at Massey University’s College of Creative Arts, which opens at the Wellington campus on Friday, November 10, 2017.
The front end of the device rests against the skin of the hanging fruit, transferring the data to a display that is angled to face the user. The information transferred can be used to determine the fruits taste levels, for which the sector provides different levels of taste payment – an incentive to growers to focus on growing higher quality fruit, rather than on producing high volumes of fruit.
The information allows growers to better determine when it is the best possible time to pick their fruit to receive maximum taste payments.
Publication date: 11/7/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: