Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US potato exports reach record levels in value and volume
U.S. exports of potatoes and potato products reached the record value of $1,758,130,172 and record volume of 1,712,364 metric tons for the marketing year running July 2016 through June 2017.
At the fresh weight equivalent (FWE), this represents the movement of 71,837,331 hundredweight of potatoes out of the U.S. market, about 20 percent of U.S. potato production for the marketing year.
These levels were achieved despite serious challenges in the international marketplace. First and foremost, the continuing expansion of potato production and processing in the European Union, all geared for export, has resulted in the EUís gaining significant market share. Exporters in Europe gained footholds in the U.S. target markets in Asia as a result of the West Coast port slowdowns in 2014 and 2015.
Another challenge has been the strengthening of the U.S. dollar both against competitor currencies and in relationship to the currencies of customers. Finally, competitors are moving forward with free trade agreements such as those between Australia and Japan in 2015 and Australia and China in 2015 and the EUís ongoing free trade agreement talks with the Philippines, Vietnam and Japan.
For the recently completed marketing year, fresh potato exports were up 9 percent, potato chip exports were up 5 percent, and frozen product exports were up 3 percent. Exports of dehydrated potatoes were down 10 percent.
Publication date: 11/6/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: