Job offersmore »
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
Top 5 - yesterday
- Lidl formula is becoming more and more like the local corner shops
- Fruit fly infested fruit found in supermarket
- Increased packing line efficiency for Washington apple grower
- Italian kiwifruit growers visit New Zealand orchards
- US: Next generation of pre-packaged snacks adds fresh fruit and vegetables
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Costa Rica intensifies prevention efforts against the Fusarium R4T
The staff of public and private institutions working on aspects of phytosanitary surveillance, research and agricultural extension, strengthened their knowledge in wilting by Fusarium tropical race 4 in the production of musaceas, through a workshop that took place in the Agricultural Research Center of CORBANA, in La Rita, province of Limon, between October 31 and November 2, said Gerardo Granados, the person in charge of Regional Operations at the SFE.
The participants of the workshop analyzed the global situation of the disease, as well as its implications for the production of musaceas in Latin America, the Caribbean, and Costa Rica. In addition, they strengthened their knowledge in the recognition of symptoms and in the collection and handling of samples. Furthermore, they learned about the biosecurity measures that must be implemented at farms, borders, ports, and airports.
They also discussed the procedures to strengthen prevention efforts and national and international mechanisms for the exclusion-containment of the Fusarium oxysporum f.sp cubense Tropical race 4.
The technical staff also learned about the laboratory procedures for molecular analysis and the methods available for diagnosis.
Wilt by Fusarium of the tropical race 4 (Foc R4T) is the most destructive disease of the Musaceae and it is among the ten most important diseases in the history of agriculture. Once this disease invades an area, the implementation of severe phytosanitary measures is required to avoid the pathogen from moving from infected areas to free areas.
If Costa Rica adopts the appropriate measures, it has the opportunity to remain free of Foc R4T. That's why this the training and the union of efforts at a national and international level are key.
This workshop is part of the efforts for the exclusion-containment of the Foc R4T in Costa Rica and the Region.
Pilar Jimenez Quiros
Publication date: 11/6/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: