Job offersmore »
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
Top 5 - yesterday
- Spain: Report accuses major veg producer of severe environmental damage
- One of New Zealand’s newest apple varieties starts Dazzling the world
- Grape grower-shipper opens new warehouse in Nogales, AZ
- AU: New technology delivering biodegradable produce labels
- Canada: Big data means big returns for farmers British Columbia
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
"RPC's have generated $5.2 billion in savings since 1992"
IFCO Reusable Plastic Containers (RPCs) have generated $5.2 billion in supply chain savings since the company was founded in 1992, according to new data released by the company today.
The cost-savings come from reduced labour and handling costs, reduced product damage rates and equipment, space and transport efficiencies provided by using RPCs versus one-way packaging.
“IFCO RPCs have inherent attributes that make them the ideal choice for packaging, transporting, storing and displaying fresh food,” said Wolfgang Orgeldinger, CEO of IFCO.
IFCO’s research showed its RPCs have been used for 9.5 billion trips since the company was founded. The use of those RPCs led to a labour & handling cost-savings of more than $1.1 billion, and a savings of more than $3.6 billion in reduced product damage rates when compared with the use of one-way packaging the company claimed. In addition, they told that the use of IFCO RPCs also generated a savings of $605 million from equipment, space and transport efficiencies.
IFCO RPCs have had a positive impact on the environment. Over the past 25 years, they have:
- Eliminated 3.4 billion kg of CO2 emissions, the equivalent of removing nearly 500,000 cars from the roads.
- Prevented more than 951,000 metric tonnes of solid waste, enough to fill approximately 104,000 dump trucks.
- Reduced water consumption by 43 billion litres (11 billion gallons).
- Saved 317,982 metric tonnes of produce from damage and waste.
Throughout 2017, IFCO is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the company’s founding with a series of announcements, events and a donation of €25,000 to food banks across Europe and North America.
“We look forward to working with our value chain partners for another 25 years and beyond to build a better supply chain,” concluded Mr. Orgeldinger.
For more information:
Tel: +1 813 463 4124
Publication date: 11/3/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: