Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ecuador: Banana farmers reject the rate adjustment in Puerto Bolívar
The Association of Exporters of Bananas of Ecuador (AEBE) rejected the increase in rates, which will go from $ 0.12 to $ 0.24 per load in bulk and $0.28 per palletized load of banana, proposed by Yilportecu, the concessionaire of the seaport of Puerto Bolivar (El Oro).
The union assured that the increase would be equivalent to 33 years of adjustments, at an annual inflation of 2%.
They also stated that it would have a 140% to 160% negative impact on the activity, due to the increase of other rates. AEBE said that they now pay fifteen new tariffs, which did not exist before the concession.
In addition, they stated that they were worried about the loss of competitiveness and markets. "There are other countries that can get their fruits to the markets at lower costs ... A 30% increase in costs of the exportable supply from the area of El Oro cannot be transferred to the international buyer and it will threaten the sustainability of the production in the area. It will especially threaten small producers, who add up to 1,688 (...) and generate more than 80 million boxes annually."
Publication date: 11/3/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: