Job offersmore »
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Foreigners like pomelos
They are still relatively unknown in Italy, but operators throughout Italy all have a few crates available. Pomelos can be red or white and the former has become particularly popular lately.
Each wholesaler only has 2 to 20 crates available, but things are looking up as it is very popular with Asians - immigrants from China, Pakistan and Bangladesh require it. If we think that, in large cities, many greengrocers are managed by immigrants from these countries, we can see how they will increasingly push the produce they like.
"Quantities sold are still insignificant. The produce comes China while, a few years ago, it was grown and exported from Israel. Currently (30th October 2017), a crate of red pomelos is being sold at €16-17, while a crate of white pomelos sells at €13-14. Each crate holds 10-12 fruits," explains exotic fruit expert Paolo Bernardi.
Anyway it is rather in demand in large cities, so much so that Amazon Prime now also has it in stock, and sells it at €3.54/kg.
Amazon also provides an information sheet: the citrus fruit can come from China or Vietnam. It has good potassium as well as ascorbic acid levels and it can be part of any diet.
Publication date: 11/7/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: