Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
New attachment from Grimme reduces damage during potato sorting
Poor handling of potatoes after harvest can lead to superficial damage of the skin and cause infections and rot, which is a major source of wastage. Because of this, Grimme has released a new transfer aid that minimises the risk of damaging potatoes during handling.
The SoftFlow combs, which can be fitted to new and existing conveyors, have elastic, polyurethane “fingers”.
Grimme says the SoftFlow can be mounted to old or new machines at the delivery point of the conveyor belt, with the fingers cushioning potatoes as they roll to the next conveyor.
The company says the soft and flexible fingers independently adjust themselves according to the weight and angle of the falling potatoes, and the tilt angle can be adjusted to ensure optimal product flow.
Because of the constant movement and high elasticity of the fingers, debris such as stones, lumps or weeds cannot get trapped.
Grimme says the combs also clean the potatoes by loosening any remaining soil deposits on the potatoes.
The SoftFlow combs are imported and sold in Australia through Landpower.
Publication date: 11/1/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: